I know a man who went to a support group and was annoyed by it because all everyone did was sit around and complain. He also was afraid to date divorced women because he thought they were so wounded by their divorces.
I knew a few other people going through divorce at the same time I was, but our problems were so different, emotionally and financially, that there didn't seem like we had much in common other than the divorce.
So how does one get unwounded? I didn't use a support group myself, probably because I have some very good and supportive friends and a strong faith.
The divorce was its own problem, but the accompanying problem was dealing with society -- it seemed that some of my married acquaintances didn't want to be around me when I was suddenly single. Did they think I'd try to steal their husband or what? Believe me, that would have been the last thing on my mind! We were friends with couples and now it seemed like they had to choose either him or me. When I got remarried, suddenly I wasn't poison any more.
And another "friend" completely ditched me because her parents had gotten divorced and my situation brought back bad memories. She told me this later.
Maybe support groups wouldn't be necessary if people out there were a bit more "real" and didn't treat divorcees, or anyone with a problem, like a leper.