Okay, ya'll know that I love to travel with my dog, Jack and my bird, Bailey.

But, hubby wants to take a trip to the Keys that includes a trip to Ft Jefferson and the Tortugas. We won't be able to bring the animals.

So, I'm faced with the decision of not going on the trip or boarding Jack and Bailey.

I'm not sure if boarding them is going to be harder on me or them. I'm already sick over it and I haven't even done it yet. I'm seeking your help.

What kinds of things should I look for in a good boarding facility?

I want Jack to be comfortable. Not kept in a small crate all day, nor ignored all day either. I want him to have interaction with people and be given the opportunity to play if he wants. (He likes to play frisbee)

I plan on visiting any place I'm interested in to see what their facilities look like and how they work.

I've boarded Jack one other time and it was with our vet. They have concrete (stalls) where each dog resides. It has a closeable opening to the outside kennel. They offer to play with them for an added price. It just seems so stark and cold. He'd be on cold concrete all day and night. Like little jail cells. Jack is used to being cuddled and allowed to sleep on the bed. He spends all his time with me (and me with him) I'm afraid he's going to be really upset and not eat or anything. Will I be putting him through undue stress? I already know I'll be stressed out about it. :-)

So, can you help me figure out what constitutes a good boarding facility?

Thanks.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog