Hi Cathi,

Hope I can help you out. I run my own real-estate company, and have been practicing this business now for the last 16 years. I work in Germany, but I'm sure the principal of selling real-estate doesn't differ between the two countries.

You are right in thinking that it is VERY odd that your cousin doesn't personally bring the customers to your house to do the showings (at least 5 per week). You gave her the contract and she is supposed to be your "partner"; not some stranger, who hasn't gone through all the details with you.

I've learned (the hard way) that business and family or friendship just don't mix well. I never accept a house from any neighbor, friend or relative.

Quote:

Needless to say, I am really embarrassed by this. I mean the sign has been out in our yard for about 5 months now.

Remove the sign, and if possible wait a month.

Quote:

We haven't even come close to a sale or any interested parties.

Now this is not a good sign. Of course it depends on how many house showings there were. If you have had a lot of showings, and not one offer, then it usually means you are in the wrong price league. Of course if the showings were few and far between, then you can't go by that.

My suggestion is to terminate your contract with your cousin. Do it with as few words as possible. She'll know why. Then just try to sell your house without a realtor. There are a lot of buyers out there that want to avoid those high commissions. So you are one step ahead of the others. Is your house listed in internet portals? Advertise in the local newspaper, and don't forget to add the website or blog address for your house. Most people first check out the internet. It's so easy for them. Better fewer pictures then too many. When taking pictures inside…get more floor than ceiling in the picture…it makes the rooms look larger. The floor plan is utmost important, so make sure you have that listed. Get the customer curious…you want them to come and see for themselves…The selling you do when they go through your door.

Before a potential buyer arrives, brew some coffee for the sense of smell. Then put on some low key coffee house music. Make sure all lamps are on, just incase it should be a gray day. Be pleasant and charming. Allow the customer to feel the aura of the rooms, without talking them to pieces. Offer a cup of coffee, and just answer questions right to the point without adding anything more.

In case you don't want to try to sell "from private", then look for a local realestate agency. Before you decide, check out their website. That is their calling card...and it better be a good one.

Hope this has been some help to you. Best of luck to you...Remember everything is sellable!