In response to Deb, I personally know what its like to have parents, or in my case, a parent who does not support you. Its a long story, but my marriage fell apart after 24 yrs. It was a long time coming....but when I told my Mom that I left him, her first words to me were - "You need to go back to him". We were separated for 3 months and I NEVER got a phone call from her to see if I was ok. IN fact, she supported my husband. It was a bad scene and to this day I have a hard time forgiving her. SOooooooo I have made a pact with myself that I will ALWAYS be there for my kids no matter what they choose in this life. It may not be what I want for them, but they have to make their choices and I will always be there with them.
Just one other thing you said that struck me. I DO believe that people CAN change. They just have to want to. As I said earlier, we were separated. We got help, and my hubby saw his ways and changed them. I had to change too. These were good changes and it saved this marriage. My hubby is a recovering alcoholic. He has not had a drink since 95. He is the picture of a man that can change if he wants to. Of course - it was not as easy as this post sounds. It was a long hard road for us both, but I praise God everyday that we worked at it. And still do work at it. All marriages are work. Some just have harder work than others.