Pam,
I did not mean to say that all Italians are like this. In fact, I myself am full blooded Italian and also 2nd generation American born. But we have never expected such things either. In fact, my parents struggled thru life, as my Dad was uneducated. He told us he went thru the 4th grade, but he could not read, so I even doubt he went that far.
The strange thing is that SIL's parents are not in a great financial situation either and I just don't get how they can pay for an entire wedding (daughter's)with her making only $8/hr. Someone is not telling the truth if you ask me.

Chatty -Maybe I did not explain correctly. My dtr and this man have been living together for 2 yrs. Just prior to that is when he moved out of his parents home. The reason she moved in with him - so they say - is because my hubby and I asked her to start paying rent. She was 23, working full time and its something we thought was right. Obviously, my kids think that is wrong. But thats a side issue. Because they have been living together, my hubby thinks that technically, they have been married for 2 yrs.

Thanks!
Crafty