I wanted to write a little update to show you all what your prayers and care have been doing in my brother's life. Please know that your prayers ARE making an enormous difference. But then, you already knew that, didn't you! These may not seem like major things to some, but to us, especially to my brother, these are huge baby steps forward.

- although he's scheduled for 3 more (possibly 7) chemo treatments, his latest blood tests have been coming back CLEAN - so clean, that his doctor told him that "on paper, you're the picture of perfect health!" (but we're continuing the chemo to be sure that the cancer stays away). The CAT scan on Monday will give us a clearer picture, but I suspect that we're going to see a lot of shrinkage and possible even some ABSENCE of cancerous lymph nodes! What makes this even more significant news is that he was diagnosed at stage 4B, which statistically has only a 25% rate of success of treatment. He was just on the verge of being too far gone to be treatable at all...

- even the diabetes seems to be gone. The doctor's keeping him on the meds while he's undergoing chemo, just to be sure. But we've been introducing a lot of his old favourite foods, and nothing is affecting the sugar except the steroid he has to take with the chemo. Even a chocolate brownie doesn't affect his sugar! Brother is VERY happy about that, but is in no hurry to get back into the old sweet habit he used to be in. Guess he learned a lesson?

- my brother has been immobilized for much of the past six months; lately he's been able to get out to the mailbox down the street to mail Christmas cards. The other night he drove himself to a friend's house to deliver Christmas gifts. He couldn't get out of the car and walk, but he was at least able to drive there and back home with no problem.

- his appetite has been dismal for months. Lately he's been requesting specific meals (which makes it so much easier for me to cook for him, so that's a double blessing - for him and definitely for me too!)

- he actually got down on the floor today to wrap Christmas gifts. He went slowly, and had to go lie down afterward, but really enjoyed it.

- he's finally feeling bored (which is probably a good sign). He's still not mobile enough to get out and about, so I'm scouring the Internet to find things for him to do (like trivia quizzes, jigsaw puzzles, games, etc). Just having even that little bit of energy to seek out things to do is an amazing sign of progress.

We still have a long way to go, but these are such hopeful signs, I had to share them with you, since you're all the ones praying for him - and God is listening!!! Hallelujah!

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/15/06 08:07 PM)

(Maya Angelou)