Recently, I was crocheting on an afghan I am making for myself, when my grandchildren saw what I was doing and asked if I would "sew" them a blanket. I promised to crochet an afghan for each grandchild. So far I have done 2 of the 5 needed and am working on the third. The kids also wanted to learn how to "sew". So I taught the two older children how to do the chain stitch and once they become proficient at that, I will teach them single crochet. They are so excited at being able to make a chain from a hook and skein of yarn. It is good exercise for their brains and fingers and keeps them occupied for a few minutes while they rest from other more strenuous play. They learn hand/eye coordination and self confidence. And its fun for grandma, too. I don't crochet complicated items, just simple afghans, pillows, and scarves. I know how to do the more complicated items, but like being able to just crochet without counting stitches. I highly recommend it as a stress reliever.
As far as how to catalog it as a forum, I think Arts/Crafts should be an entirely separate forum. Some of us use it for recreation, some of us sell our work, and all of us, I believe, enjoy doing it.
[Cool]