My story is of necessity rather than family history. After six months of being married, I became pregnant (35 years ago). It came necessary to find a house fast with limited income. We purchased a 2 bedroom frame home with no basement. For 9 years I hated it but so what.

I finally divorced my first husband and life kept changing (to make the story short). Eleven years ago I remarried a man (also with one son from 1st marriage) who lived in our home for 26 years. After much prodding, we moved into a condo two years ago. I am a professional organizers for seniors and started practicing what I preach to others.

First, I took one room at a time. This started a year before actually moving to adjust to change gradually. If I didn't use it after one year it was given away, tossed or donated. By the time the move actually became reality, there were only items we actually used or wanted to store for memories.

In our new condo (home) there are 3 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms, basement and garage. Just like a home without the outside responsibilities. A small environment with very nice neighbors. One bedroom is converted into my office with a queen size sofa bed for the grandchildren. The second bedroom is for my husband's office/family room use. The master bedroom has only the clothing we wear in the closet.

There are so many tricks but plenty of room for vacationing family yet is feels like our own space. Hope I have helped someone. Take it slow and plan ahead. Don't put pressure on yourself.