Currently we are living a rural area, but it is very likely that we will be returning to a vital urban center, as we miss the multicultural aspects and the stimulation of city life. I lived in big cities up until 12 years ago, and we did what he had to do with retreating to a quiet rural area 10 years ago, after a short stint in a small city(Santa Fe). Rural doesn't necessarily work for every person of so-called "retirement" age(see my post above about retirement in general) - for some of us it is better to be around a variety of people in a stimulating environment! It's very possible that we might be moving back to San Francisco - we are being seriously considered for a low-key apartment manager's position in a good area of the city. SF has excellent public transport too, and is very walkable. Before we moved to New Mexico, my husband lived in San Francisco for 17 years, and I there for 14. It's still a cool place. The apartment managing position would allow us to have our housing taken care of(and a parking spot which is worth its weight in gold there)in a high-priced housing market. We love San Francisco, and this coastal person is ready to move back to being near the water! If the San Francisco situation doesn't pan out, we would look to move into Santa Fe itself. We do property caretaking, so we might be able to find something there in that department too.
We are just too far out in the country(beautiful as it is)for my taste - we have to drive a minimum of 18 miles to get anything, and 27 if we want a better choice!