to Dianne:
I'm not originally from New Mexico - have been here 12 years, 10 of them in a rural community 27 miles away from Santa Fe. But New Mexico, and Santa Fe in particular, tends to be a magnet for independent women. My husband and I however, are putting it out there to be able to relocate, as I am SERIOUSLY missing the ocean after so long away from it. Just occasional trips to the ocean won't do it either, and lakes and rivers don't do it for me(I grew up oceanside, on the East coast, but returning there is not an option at all for me, plus I really like the progressive West coast alot better, esp. northern California). It was REALLY hard to return to our little town after our last trip to San Francisco a couple of months ago.
But back to clothes, fortunately I don''t have a straight job that necessitates "professional, safe" clothes, and like you, I refuse to just wear granny stuff, esp. when what I already wear looks good on me. I forgot to mention shoes - mine absolutely HAVE to be comfortable from the moment I try them on in the store, otherwise they don't come home with me. Fortunately, there are all kinds of fun, flat, funky comfy shoes around. No killer heels for me. In Santa Fe, you don't see a lot of high heels, as women tend to be more independent and often active.