I suppose this post will alienate everyone around here yet once more but......

Why do older women think they should dress in baggy squarish clothes made from easy-care frabrics with elastic waists?? This stuff just makes you look old no matter what your age. I think Coldwater Creek is one of the worst offenders for spot-it-from-a-mile-away old lady clothes.

Even older women who have gained weight over the decades and who aren't perky where they used to perk can still dress nicely without looking frumpy. Clothes with waists defined (yes! you DO still have one!), tailoring, darts, flattering necklines, can all be had in sizes larger than an 8. I think it's a matter of habit and mindset "oh, I haven't bought anything like that in 20 years I wouldn't dare wear that now." Dare! Wear it now. Get some slinky underwear and heels to go with it. Look in the mirror and see how attractive you can still be if you buy something just a little out of the ordinary.

Stop thinking "it's comfy, apprpriate, durable." Start thinking "adoreable, curvy, sensuous." Don't worry about where you'd wear it and just wear it! Wear cute curvy clothes to the bank, the store, to work.

I think one of the biggest clothing mistakes heavier older women make is to wear big clothes that they think *covers* their size. Women have fleshy busts and hips and thighs, this is what makes us women. Flaunt it with pride, stop hiding it under big sweaters and baggy pants.

I've seen a few bellydance performances in the last couple of years. One of the hottest dancers I've seen was a mature woman who weighed well over 200 lbs. She had on the coins and spangles and the outfit, she was shaking her stuff and she was just great. Boobs to die for. I loved it.

We need to change our thinking and then buy some new clothes totally unlike what mature 50somethings are supposed to be wearing at this stage in life. I just bought a pair of stiletto/suede/bejeweled knee high boots and I'm strutting with pride! As a friend of mine once said "you are what you pretend to be."

[ January 08, 2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: mrs_madness ]