The counselor explained that he was treating his son at the same age level he did when he came to live with his dad. 12 years old. How could his son grow up and accept the fact that dad had gotten remarried (after 11 years!) if dear old dad didn't act like it. Like I said, immaturity.

After years of complaining, throwing fits, crying and walking out for five days, I took a different approach. I just calmly explained that I couldn't force him to be a grown up. I stopped all the other useless tactics and I think, in my heart, I had given up. Maybe he saw that. I told him that there could only be a competition if there was more than one party competing and wives don't compete...with anyone.

I want him to have a close and loving relationship with his sons, just like I do with my children. I want him to do things with them. I just don't want to be treated like an outsider. Both of his sons are hard working and decent people. Just like their dad.

I guess sometimes you have to give up, take your hands off the situation and let God take over.