Your ring reminded me of my ex....

He was military and had to leave in Nov. for a oversea cruise.

He had just moved the (4) kids and I into a 120 year old house. You could lay in bed at night and literally see the stars. The only heat was a fireplace, & it was missing several bricks.

Small rickety fence lined the drive-way to the house.
Before leaving he tore the fence down and stacked it near the back door...so I would have firewood for winter.

He left without filing an allotment... (pay that goes to spouse while member is stationed overseas).

The twins were just babies, Josh 2 and Tracey 6.

Within a few weeks...funds were non-existent, I drove to town, and sold my wedding rings...
Those rings meant absolutely nothing at that point.

I received enough money to buy a goat. The twins had been diagnosed with milk allergies, the doctor recommended goat milk. I lived 1 1/2 hr. from the nearest commissary or grocery store.
The goat had to be milked morning and night, and she loved to try to ram and kick you.

Fence he left for winter firewood was gone in a night...thank goodness it was California and not as cold as it could have been.

I found work at the base in the dining hall...the chief, and fellow cooks provided me with enough food to cover till payday.

It didn't take long before a couple of the local service men showed up with truck loads of firewood for our fireplace.

Found myself working with the local ombudsman, who immediately reported him to his commanding officer. The following month I had the allotment he should have filed before leaving.

That was the turning point for me... any man who can't provide for his children isn't worth the time of day.

I kept my job and saved for the time I would be able to leave. It took longer than I predicated.