Thistle, I am a parent. Of two, most lovely of children (did you expect me to say less?). One of whom has passed from this world to the next. But I agree with you one one issue - the world (or maybe the U.S.) is revolving around children, to the point where I think it's unhealthy for the children...I surely don't believe in "seen but not heard" in the sense where that phrase was coined, but I do believe that too much emphasis is being placed on the children and their accomplishments. (or what many see as accomplishments) But also, I think that the pendulum swings...what was once a horrible place for children has now become too much of sanctuary for misbehavior. Really, all I am saying is that children need to learn respect for others, including their elders, where respect is due. I , for one, never expected my children to respect adults just because they were adults, but because they deserved the respect given. As they should give to anyone, adult or child. And also, respect is given until proven otherwise. In fact, that's how I raised my children. They were given respect by me - trusting in myself that I had raised them right - and were told that they had no rules except when they showed me that they needed them...we had very few rules in our household. Just didn't need them.

I am not saying these things to prove that I am a great parent. I am just trying to say that things can be accomplished with a minimum of fuss. And that children are like all others---they need to have respect and give it as well...

Searcher