We have had some minor experiences with nursing homes over the past 5 years.
Most recently was when my mother needed one for rehab after a hospital stay, when she couldn't walk on her own.
We didn't have time to research, so we chose 2 of 3 we knew of with good reputations. We lucked out & got our first choice---and it turns out the location was highly rated, despite what it looks like from the outside!
My mom had very good care & it helped eased my nerves. Of course the thought of having to put her in a home permanently would be another story.

My cousin lost her father, who had been taking care of her mom with MS. She moved back home & had to eventually hire someone to come take care of her mom while she was at work. My aunt fell & broke her ankle. The hospital wouldn't allow her to go home--and made her be released to a nursing home. (I believe they were going to get social services involved if my cousin didn't agree to this--NOT THAT ANYTHING WAS GOING ON!!)

The first nursing home my cousin chose, again without having time to research, was near her home.
We went to visit my aunt & I couldn't believe it.
I was very upset that my aunt was of sound mind, and would have to spend the rest of her life in a place like that!
She had BRAIN CANCER---had a seizure--and her left side was slightly paralized. Nobody notified my cousin!
Of course my cousin got her out of there--this all happened within the 2 weeks she was there.
The next place was wonderful! They were the ones who discovered the brain cancer--and began to give her the proper care she should have had from the moment she had the seizure!
My aunt didn't last long after being diognosed, but the nursing home was wonderful during that time.

So I have witnessed some good and some bad....and it worries me to death about my mom later on. We plan on taking care of her at home---I am already staying at home to take care of her now.

With my grandmother, we all knew when it was her time, she'd just go peacefully. And she did. We are hoping my mom will be able to do the same.

Medicaid is another evil in my life!!! You'd think they'd jump at a chance to save money! It is a dirty word in this house--that's another topic!!!

I fully understand being a caregiver.
What upsets me abit....is I am learning how to be a caregiver on this site because of others.

I am having a rough time of it right now because of my grandmother passing away at Thanksgiving. I have been turning my emotions off---and not wanting to go near any post involving real feelings.

I am thinking of you all.