Eagle,

It really bumfuzzles me how GP's can be so inadequate to help but yet think they're the answer to it all. My GP had been treating me for 3 years, to no avail and only one med change in that three years. I went to her more than once expressing that I felt like I was going to fly apart into a million pieces and she'd just nod her head and not even once recommended therapy. After my crash and burn in April, I did some research on the net and found this great center that offers a mood disorder program, which is where a great doctor is affiliated. I set out to become a patient but discovered I had to have a referral from my family doc. When I went to her to ask for it, she refused saying she had reservations about that doctor....but wouldn't expound on why. Then, she said she wanted me to see a psychiatrist in her circle and she'd do that for me. My mind was made up though, I wanted to see this other Christian doctor who specializes in mood disorders. She again told me she couldn't recommend him for her own reasons. To this day I don't know why but the Christian doctor says that no one in this area will refer to him and it seems to be mainly because he IS a Christian. So, I just flat told her that she'd treated me for 3 years to no avail and there was NO WAY I was going to go onto a waiting list to see her doctor when I needed help RIGHT NOW! I then told her, "You know, it's no wonder why so many people are committing suicide these days, they have to make an appointment for it!" She really didn't know what to say except, "Do you feel like that, committing suicide?" I told her no, not at the time but she was quickly pushing me to it. When I left, she agreed to look at this doctor's credentials again and would call me. Imagine my surprise when she called Mon. morning and said, against her better wishes, she would give me the referral. From there on, it's been one God moment after another. This doctor had a waiting list into Mar. 2006 but I got an appt. for July (05) the day they got my referral. Another God moment was when I went in for a counselling session yesterday but asked the receptionist to tell the doctor that I was having TERRIBLE withdrawal symptoms trying to start a new med and she asked if I could come in tomorrow (which is today). I about fell over...that just doesn't happen. She looked at me and said "Shhhhh, I just got this cancellation." So, the good Lord has been good and watching out for me in this and hopefully I can get back on the right track.

Ok, enough of my rant.....but when we get to talking about doctors, it really gets my blood boiling...:-)

Hugs,

Mary