I believe GP doctors should not be able to hand out anti-depressants as fast as they can write.
Since June, my GP has given me 3 different AD to try. They all made me so tried, and feeling like I was someone else. Last one gave me the electrial zaps toward the end of the first week.
These are some dangerous drugs, if you don't know what you are doing. My feeling is, most GP's, are not qualified in this area.
They have no clue to side effects or withdrawal.

Where do you find all the energy to run from therapist to therapist, hoping to find the right one?

Could be I'm a bit leery of doctors anyways.
Following is just a few reasons why....

Hubby works with a man who is seen at the same clinic we are. He had a sinus infection, doctor put him on antibiotic and cough syrup. Two days later he's in the ER. Cough syrup interacted with his blood pressure medicine.
The cardiologist, kept him 3 days to make sure no damage was done to his heart. Was told even a good pharmacist would have caught the interaction. (Our clinic and pharamacy in same building. With a computer system that checks for drug interactions). [Eek!]

My son's girlfriends dad had an out of rhythm heart. They actually stopped his heart beat, (clinical dead) and re-started to a normal beat.
Doctor had prescribed blood thinning medicines. This poor man ended up in the hospital several weeks after, with his fingers and arms blue.
It was all caused by the blood thinners that should have been stopped. When he saw his doctor...the doctor blamed it all on the nurses.

Just yesterday, my son Josh comes home to tell of the wife of the man he works with. Prescribed a medication, was not told it should be monitored...she now has no feeling in the left side of her body, and talking like a baby.

It's enough to make you paranoid. Everytime I am given a new medication I come home and check it on the drug interactions site:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home

Even the heart medicines I take now have moderate interactions. Informed the cardiologist at two week check-up about the depression and left leg weakness, all he had to say to me was "I'm not changing the med's now". No mention of a future appointment either. Need's a GP referral.
Most of these doctors, appear to be "too full of themselves".
So I wake up every morning feeling depressed and pulling my heavy left leg around. Try exercising with that.

Paranoid or just safe?

Think these doctors need to slow down, and take the alloted time to spend with a patient, "just focused on the patient", (not his watch or the nurse standing at the door asking questions of the previous patient)...please.
Asking what medications you take...some don't take the time to check the chart.
Just seems to me "most" are too busy trying to earn the mighty dollar, and not living up to their oath.
Suppose that adds up to morals and values!

Geez....just gone on and on again.
I am so sad, most people just don't take the time to care any more.

Brenda