quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Heart:

Like you, I've been heavily involved in church most of my life, starting choir at the age of 6, teaching Sunday School for years, studying theology for 2 years, serving on the Parish Council and various committees, and continuing to play piano and help to lead the choir right up until I was 40. Then I just completely burned out. That's when I began to experience the dysfunctionality of church firsthand...my experience was that as long as I was giving, giving and giving until I had no more to give, I was a welcome, beloved member of the congregation. But when I became too burnt to give, and unable to bring my guitar to church functions anymore, I suddenly became invisible and discarded. It was very disillusioning.

Sadly I've experienced this in church too. I think the same analogy can be applied to volunteer groups, and to some extent the workforce. As long as were giving and doing more its great, but as soon as you say "no", or "I can't handle anymore" everyone looks at you like, "what's her problem?" [Smile]

Learning to look after ourselves so we have the energy to give to others is such an important thing. Recognizing burnout and stress in volunteers/workers is also important.

We pay lip service to it, but we need to practice it - and to respect those who need to pull back when they are near burnout.

(And boy, try to get that message across to a church that is heavily fundraising for a new building....I could go on forever.....)