Hi Everyone,
I thought I'd mention a few of the "Fun Facts" that our editor decided to omit:

1. In Ancient Greece, girls who "slept around" were known as Panic Girls. (wonder why that one got nixed?)

2. Even though he's 50 years old, Richard Gere is still a babe. (you have to question the wisdom of editors [Smile] !

And here's the quote from Winona Ryder: "It's that feeling when you almost get in a car wreck and you swerve, and for a second there are needles in your head and needles in your body. It's that moment - but STRETCHED OUT!

I love this quote - I think it's a great snapshot of what some of the intense moments of a panic attack can feel like.

Sugaree- have you considered, or has your therapist mentioned to you the possibility of desensitization or exposure therapy? It can be a very successful treatment for specific phobias, including smells that remind us traumatic experiences. Let me know if you want to know more about it. Hope things are okay with you.

Francine--
How are things going with you? Have you seen the doctor at the base? Did you get the galleys yet for your book? I know you're not on cloud nine about it, but it will be something to focus on and somethig that will give you positive feelings.

Everyone--
I thought it might be interesting for people to let loose with particular fears - bridges, antique furniture (Billy Bob Thorton has that one - among others [Smile] ), spiders, storms, flying, the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth, or my favorite - hippopotomonstrosequippedaliaphobia. This is a particular fear, one we found in the "Encyclopedia of Phobias" which lists thousands and thousands of phobias. I'll toss it out as a challenge so start your brains ticking and guess what it's a fear of.

One benefit to everyone tossing their fear in a hat is that we can see WHAT WE'RE NOT AFRAID OF. Seeing what we're not afraid of is a good thing, because no one is afraid of everything and if we can experience NOT BEING AFRAID of what someone else is afraid of, then we can see ourselves from a different point of view and see that others are not afraid of what we're afraid of. Being able to take an outside perspective on fear - seeing it from someone else's point of view is a good thing. I have a great fear of this thing that I can't even name so I have given it a letter - "W" I have been terrified of this "set of experiences" and it wasn't until quite recently that I was able to see it in a different light. I had been convinced that my therapist was afraid of it too and he kept saying he wasn't - but I couldn't believe him and thought he was afraid to tell me he was afraid! A short while ago, in a great insight, I was finally able to see that he wasn't afraid and I could understand why he wasn't afraid. This has made a big difference for me because I was able to see myself through his eyes and this have the experience of seeing what it is like not be afraid.
Another reason to have a "fear purge session" is that even though many of us know all too clearly the terror of what it's like to truly be afraid of something - it's also true that most of don't understand some fears. Like the antique furniture thing with Billy Bob Thorton - whenever I read about it I just think: what's your problem, Billy? How's that for compassion? The point is, after I think this, I realize that HE REALLY IS AFRAID OF IT. Many of us might have significant others who simply just do not understand how someone could be afraid of this or that. I bet if everyone posting and reading listed one thing they're afraid of, one thing that gets them feeling those bad feelings -I bet that we'd find we had some fears in common and that there are some fears we would find difficult to understand. It's good to have this experience, (for a moment anyway), because it will help you to understand those who don't understand you.
Anyone game?
I'll start with an easy one: A BEE IN MY CAR. This is probably a common fear and one that's easy to relate to, but TRUST ME, YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IN MY CAR WITH ME IF THERE'S A BEE IN THE BACK. I have screeched to a halt on 4 lane roads, run out screaming, and flipped the back open. I have swatted and screamed at them, but no matter what, if there's a bee in my car - I'M OUTTA THERE.
I'll throw in a second, which I mentioned in a previous post: THE SMELL (SOMETIMES EVEN THE PICTURE OF) NAIL POLISH.
Okay kids - let's see what ya' got.....

-Julie