Hello everyone,

In a previous post I mentioned a technique that I use when I feel the onset of a panic attack. It is difficult, in a short post to do justice to something as important as a recovery technique. The breathing technique that I was explaining is detailed at the end of Chapter One in our book, and it is called "The Panic Waltz."

In the book we use dance steps to introduce the reader to the recovery techniques that worked for me. As I stated earlier, these are based primarily on the techniques of Dr. Claires Weekes. In addition to the panic waltz we have, the foxtrot, the tango and the swim.

Part of the reason we used dance steps to describe these techniques is because, well, we thought it was sort of cute, but also, when you're dancing with someone, they're your partner, you're holding them close, not running away from them. Just another subtle nudge to NOT run from your panic.

However, I also believe that it's important that one has an understanding of anxiety disorders, as well as some basic information, such as what is physically happening within your body during a panic attack. I believe all of this knowledge is necessary for a sustained recovery. I also believe it aids you in successfully putting into practice recovery methods.

We asked Dr. Charles Stevens, a consultant on the book what the three most important things that someone struggling with panic attacks should do. He said, "Number one is to seek medical or psychological help. Number two is to educate yourself about your illness, and number three is to gain the skills necessary for a sustained remission, such as cognitive-behavior therapy, meditation or counseling."

Remember, courage doesn't mean you don't experience fear. Courage is being afraid...and doing it anyway.

Jeanne