Hello Everyone!

I'm Jeanne Jordan, one of the authors of "The Panic Diaries."

The actual definition of a panic attack is: a discrete period in which there is the sudden onset of intense apprehension, fearfulness, or terror, often associated with feelings of impending doom.

On pages 24 & 25 of the book we list the "Criteria for a Panic Attack." There are 13 different different features associated with panic attacks, so for an "episode" to be considered a panic attack you must experience at least four of these features.

And yes, it is possible to have one panic attack a year, or one in your entire life. The problem arises when you are experiences panic on a regular basis.

From the time I was seven years old I was defined by panic attacks, which of course, at that time had no name. So, my family and I gave it a name..."my feeling." Over the years I have spoken with others who were struggling at this time (the 1960's & 1970's) and many of them also gave their disorder a name. However, it wasn't until 1980 that panic attacks and the anxiety disorders associated with them were actually recognized and given names by the psychiatric community. Names like: Panic disorder, agoraphobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, to name a few.

I was 27 before I discovered that this thing that I struggled with my entire life had a name...and a treatment. And very slowly...my entire life changed.

Jeanne