"Baltimore 2007" I think the boomer convention sounds wonderful. I bet there'd be a lot of interest in such a gathering, both from BWS members and from potential sponsors, media outlets and the like. Terrific idea. Maybe Dotsie'll be on the cover of the next issue that TIME does about boomer women.

Back to the fear factor. You raised a good topic, Dotsie. I began traveling internationally when I was about 20. And, I was fearless, as most twentysomethings are. I went anywhere and tried anything. I'm sure that my fearlessness stemmed in large part from the fact that I had no responsibilities to anyone but myself. Mike and I were together, but I didn't look at being part of a couple as a reason not to go for the gusto in any situation.

I found fear creep into my travels (and I define fear broadly here -- call it caution, planning, extra care, intuition -- many of the things we've discussed in this thread) when I became a mother.

And I think that's the way God planned it. Most of the time, life has a way of making perfect sense.

My non-mother traveling years gave me the confidence and experience I needed to keep traveling once I became a mom. I knew the ropes, knew what I was capable of, knew the incredible life value of venturing beyond my own backyard, knew I had to extend this gift to my children.

But I also knew where the pitfalls, problems and potential dangers might lurk, and I was able to plan, act and react accordingly.

I think this "fear" that came with motherhood is really a protective, defensive mechanism. When my kids are with me, it helps me protect them. When they're not, it helps me protect me, so that I come home safely to them.

A little fear's a good thing. I've come to welcome and respect it. If I'm traveling and I don't feel at least a bit of it, it's time to stop and take a reality check. If I'm too cocksure of everything, I need a dope slap.