Everyone can go together, in Smile's RV. Smile, looks like you'd better make sure there's lots of bunk room, because it's going to be one riproaring sleaze tour of Southern Cal and hot spots south of the border. They'll have to redefine "recreational" vehicle at the conclusion of this trip. A busload of tattooed, tequilaed boomer women -- and possibly a dog in a tiara -- having their bodies pierced and crooning along with Hollywood's finest transvestite country singer. Everybody will have to write a book about this journey. Dotsie's probably barred the door already so Smile can't hijack her and is thanking heaven that she's had the wisdom never to set foot west of the Rockies.

Yup, Alabama ties, JJ. By way of Brooklyn and Pittsburgh. My grandfather's family escaped Cornwall, England's tin mining life and landed at Ellis Island. His dad mined coal in Pittsburgh, then headed south. I'm not sure what my grandfather's name was when he lived in Birmingham. He was born Steele Pille. But he wanted to join the Navy before he was of legal age, so he enlisted as "Harry Doubleday." Over time, the two names spawned more combinations, and he walked around as Harry Pille et al. for a bit. Not sure what moniker he used in Birmingham.

Thanks for the travel tips on Alabama. I do want to get back down south to do some more exploring. And yes, North Carolina is heaven on earth. In an early post, I suggested some routes for Smile's upcoming trek to the east coast, and those gorgeous ribbons of highway that wind through the Smokies, the Blue Ridge and other pieces of the Appalachians set the soul to stirring.

And yes, the people are lovely. Warm, gracious, welcoming, smart, tough and honest all rolled into one package. Just hanging out with folks informed so much of our "Ribbons" journey. I'll share a book excerpt about a few of them in another post.