Dianne,
I guess I like a little danger when I travel. Kind of like riding a roller coaster I suppose. Makes me feel blessed to survive.
I respect the desperation of the poverty in Mexico and I try to use caution, but I just love the Mexican people so much that I never truly feel afraid. I am fascinated by the way they carve everything and paint it some bright color then put lace and ribbons on it. The way they always want to feed you and close everything down to take a nap mid day and everyone seems to smile a lot. I've never had anything stolen or been abused in any way there.
I was never afraid in Europe either. Even in Italy where the police raced around with sirens screaming and the police carried uzzis.
Strangely, the one place that I am frightend is D.C. It's one of the reason I left a great job there and moved to California then home to Oklahoma.
I've been to Carlsbad, both the cavern and in CA. Loved the cavern, but it was a boring drive getting there. Redondo beach and Carmel will have go in Dotsie's soon to be infamous "California Girl tour" for sure.

We gotta' get her out West where """men are men and cows are afraid!""
smile