Lori,

This is why I asked if you homeschool.

Traveling is such an awesome learning tool! We have studied certain subjects (like the Boston tea party, Williamsburg, etc) and then gone and visited them as an extension to the unit. "I" have learned sooo much through this type of learning - and my kids have as well. Everything I've learned on an educational level, I've learned through homeschooling. Ha. (we could write a book on that!)

Homeschooling has allowed us to "be on the road" more...and take off at the drop of a hat. With the lifestyle we live, it's been a blessing!

My daughter is 16, and my son is 14. I have homeschooled them from the begining. It wasn't something I intended to do, but something I was "led" to do (much to my surprise!).

The fires of 2002 were unbelievable! We lived in an area threatened by a wildfire. It was interesting watching people evacuate - and EVERYTHING they tried to take with them. I think through the years that I've realized that none of my "stuff" is so important...other then my family and my critters.

You HAVE to visit Estes Park. It is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. When you are on top of the divide, it is like being on top of the world. And the town of Estes is very quaint and "homey". We lived there for 3 yrs...it is the ultimate American town. Sniffles. (now we live outside of Denver, which has its' own unique benefits) (BUT, we have a view of the mountains!) The Elk in Estes Park are more plentiful then the winter residents! They too are wild, and known to go after tour-ons. lol.

I will have to find "Alma" on the map and go check it out!

We have to get back down to the Mesa's they are so incredible. Did you get to the great sand dunes? very cool!

Thanks for sharing all of your experience!

God Bless the U.S.A.! (and the troops who have faithfully defended it!)

Danita