If I didn't have a publisher, I would ask the org. before I came if they wanted me to bring books with me or send them beforehand rather than have to lug them in with me. Get a committment from them before I ever arrived. That's what I'd do anyway. I could make more money if I brought my own books, so that's a consideration.

There is a book titled: Jump Start Your Book Sales by Marilyn & Tom Ross that gives a lot of advice for self-published books.

Use the Internet. Go to every domestic or child abuse site you can find and contact them and let them know you're available for presentations. I did a three day conference in Napa because of one woman who gave my book to a shelter there. Word of mouth is great!

You might consider joining organizations that support your cause too. That helps.

I'm not sure why I hate book store signings. My publicist said they didn't really work that well and never booked me for one. I did one locally when my book was first released and they sold out but after that, I just wouldn't accept any bookings.

If you keep practicing your presentation and get it seriously polished, you'll begin to love the speaking part. I use one word notes in case I forget what I'm saying. But then, I speak like I think, I'm all over the place!