Julie wrote:

"Someone wrote that dying is like being born - I agree with that. Having had the privilege of being with my father at his passing I was impressed by how much like giving birth it is- a "labour of leaving".

During the holidays when I was at the beach, body surfing the waves or ducking under the big, rough ones - I was also thinking about evil in the world and how we learn to negotiate the evils, the dangers, with a bit of divine help...that God doesn't send the problems, they just ARE, as the rough seas and the tranquil seas are part of the same ocean, so the good and bad are all part of life. We learn to live the same ways as we learn to surf - surviving in the natural world as best we can..."

Julie, thanks for your thoughts. I found them very warming. I liked the imagery of the oneness of the ocean from its rough swells to its tranquil waters and the way you compare this to life. This was helpful, poetic, and thought-provoking for me.

I also liked your term "labour of leaving." That's great.

Sure wish I could be out there with you ducking through those waves! My fantasy novel involves a planet almost entirely comprised of water, the inhabitants having adapted to be able to swim beneath the waves for very long spells. I love the ocean. It was one of the primary draws for me when I sailed around the world -- bein' out there in the middle of nothing but sky and water and no land in sight. It was at once a frightening and liberating feeling.

So, anyway, thanks for posting.