Help! I'm trapped inside Emma's body and can't get out! I absolutely loved this book. I could not wait each day to find out what was going to happen next. I too have friends that have remained "attached to the hip" as Dotsie said. When I want someone to tell me to either suck it up and go on, or cry with me, I call/write one of these friends depending on the situation. Isn't that what these women did as well? Each person brought some kind of strength to the friendship. One was a good listener, one was a pillar of strength, etc...I think when what it all boils down to is love.
When you love someone, or they you, it doesn't matter what they do or say, you love them just the same. No judgements, just love. That is what I came away with after reading this book True friendships stand the test of time. They bend when necessary and they bend over backwards when really necessary. Also, and probably the most important thing I got from the book was that their friendships enabled each of them to grow in some way. Like Rudy being able to trust herself, or Isabel being able to die with dignity, Lee being able to count the blessings her ALREADY had, and my crazy Emma, learning to overcome her fear of rejection and putting someone else's feelings above her own. Sigh...what a book!