Hello Daphne,
I tuned in late, actually I do that alot. I am technically perimenoupasal because the "blood test" says so. I am tryign the pill to relieve heavy menstaral bleeding. Am giving it one more month to see if it works, if not, hysterectomy this summer.

I am 46 and have a 6 year old. So I am definitely in a different place than most women my age. The empty nest syndrome is far away.

But I am the confident woman now who can give to a child in a way that I could not in my 20's and 30's. I have many rich life experiences and feel like I might have retired first then started the life-work thing.

My priority is my family but I must also work to help provide. My husband had pnacreatic cancer surgery 15 months ago. I am told by pros that he won't live out the year. On one hand I say "humbug" he is doing great. But I find I won't make plans pst his next scan (every 3 months). I want to go downt the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon but can't make the reservations because it would be after his next scan and who knows what? Terrible way to live and my work for 2005 is to try to overcome this anxiety.

I also must work outside the home in a place I don't really like becasue it penalizes you for having a family and making them a priority but I have great beneefits and seniority. If I become a single Mom I will need all of this to get by. So leaving is out of the question. Living with the guilt placed upon me is getting very old.

I have not read your book yet but am odering today. I dont know if all of this even relates to your book but is relevant to my status in this mid life.

What can you comment upon a midlife Mom with a kindergartner, a screwy cycle and a terminally ill husband? Although husbnd is getting along fine it is the threat that makes me make certain decisions. GEEZ, do you have a couch and charge by the hour?

Lynn