Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I was a step-child when I was 10 until I was in my 20's and promised myself I would never be the kind of step-mom I had...and I haven't been.
This has proven to me that "no good deed goes unpunished." Sounds cynical, but in a step-family, it's true.
The ironic thing about this is that when my eldest son and daughter-in-law heard what had happened, they purchased the tractor hood and had it sent to their step-dad for father's day...a day that G did not respond to to his dad...no card, no gift, nothing...in fact, that was the day we found the tractor had been so damaged and it came home. None of my husband's kids did anything on father's day for him. So...why should anything surprise me at this point concering any of his children. My children adore their step-dad and treat him with great respect. They see how happy I am with him and how good he treats me. They agree with what you two are saying...G's using the 'step' card to try to push me out of being involved.
What happens in the future is yet to be clear at this point...but, the fact for sure is that right now the last person I need to be around is G and his wife.