First of all Dee welcome! And you are from Alabama I see. How wonderful. Me too! Me too! (Queen waving hand frantically).

If it were me, I would have to set aside the "step-anything" thinking and think, "If this were my old flesh and blood, would I treat this the same way?" If the answer is yes, and I'm betting it is, then you have to believe in your own motivations. It looks like to me that junior was at fault, knew he was, but doesn't like taking the blame for things, so he used the only defense he could, GET MAD AT YOU. By taking the focus off of himself, and waving a finger in the air shouting "she's an outsider butting in" he hoped his Dad would say, "oh gee son, you poor thing, is that mean old step-mother picking on your young self?"

It didn't work because obviously the love/bond you have with your husband is a strong one. Your husband is to be commended for backing you in this! Go Hubby!

I say you should be patted on the back for doing the Barney thing. Nipping it in the bud. I'm not saying you should bully him, I'm saying when a situation calls for you to voice your opinion and it is the right thing to do, THEN DO IT! I AM saying don't let HIM bully you. Its emotional blackmail. If he gets away with it now, imagine what the rest of your married life would be like. Every tried to walk to egg shells?

Step-parents, heck... any parent, should check their hearts, which means, check your motivation for doing this or that. If it is in the right place, then I say onward!

How should you handle it? From my point of view, you don't have anything to handle...THEY DO. You've done the right thing. Now its their turn to mend the broken fence.

Just my thoughts...Hope I haven't stepped over the boundaries.

JJ