Kelly,
I am also in the same situation. Divorce in process, family would like me to move closer to home. (I would too). However, son is just getting his head on straight and making plans to start college this fall and will have to commute-at least short term. I have been looking for a new job to help make ends meet for 7 months and haven't found anything worth while. I do live in a somewhat rural setting, but it only took 3 months to land this job 3 years ago.

Considering our 'boomer' age and how important it is for us to have a nestegg at retirement, I wouldn't move without a job.

Personally, my plan is to find a house or duplex that needs work, buy low, fix up for next two years, finish recooping from divorce, then decide whether or not to move, son will have graduated from college and he'll be on his own by then.

If I decide to move I can either sell high or keep as a rental property to continue to bring in extra income. In a pinch, rental income could be used to carrying me over till I find a job--course by then, I will be a big name writer and not need a J-O-B anymore!!

I'll be praying for you!