Kelly, I was in the same sort of situation for many years. I had moved to Nova Scotia (the East Coast of Canada), but all of my family still lived in Ontario. It was only supposed to be for six months, but I ended up staying there for 17 years...but spent the last 7-8 years of that time yearning for a way to move home. I was too poor and didn't have a clue how to make that move by myself. Looking back, that inertia seems surprising, because I had made the initial move TO Nova Scotia all by myself with no job and yet found one the day after I arrived there. So you'd think that would have taught me to trust my instincts a little more!

I never told my family about wanting to move home, because I had already put them through so much grief with my depression. Looking back now, I know they would have loved to have me back home and would probably have done everything in their power to help make it happen. Sadly, I didn't recognize THEIR yearning for me too until I DID move back.

It was after I met my now-hubby that the dream of going home became a reality. I admit that it's sad that it took his money and strength of will to do it, but at the same time, if I had moved back on my own when I had wanted to, I would never have met hubby, so maybe it was all meant to work out that way.

Anyway, I say to follow your heart. Life's too short to not follow what dreams you are able to make come true. If your heart is yearning to move closer to your family, I say do it, and the rest will follow. And if you have any sort of rapport with your family, tell them. What can you lose? If they're not in any position to help, then you're no worse off. But if they CAN help, like mine would have, then who knows what can happen with their love to back you up.