Daisygirl,
I think you are so right to have expectations of your own. I too dated someone that practically insisted we "run" with his crowd of friends every single weekend. He lived in my hometown, so I would travel home, (because my Mom/Dad still lived there) and we would date on the weekends. Always surrounded by his friends, always talking about their kids and "the game" that week and not once did he say, "hey, is there something else you would like to do this weekend?" I tried suggesting things but soon realized he was disappointed in anything else we did, like movies/dinner. If we went out to eat, these people would mysteriously show up at the same place we were dining. Hello? I'm talking two-three couples and about 8-10 kids. As it came time for school to start back and football season, he even started talking about how I would fit in working in the concession stand at the high school. Huh? Not to me directly, but in front of me. I would look at him like he had certainly lost his mind! He never caught on, not until I told him AND HIS FRIENDS in no uncertain terms that I don't DO football, and I wasn't spending every Friday night working some school's concession stand.

He was tickled to death we were dating and was dumbfounded when I said, "you know, this isn't working for me." I explained as best I could, and he said things would change, but I knew he wouldn't be happy doing so, and I felt it should have been obvious. If he can't see I was bored out of my mind, then he wasn't paying attention to the right person if you ask me.

Oh and did I mention that one of these women in the group was constantly flirting with him? Very uncomfortable for me.

Anyway, he was a super guy and had some qualities I loved dearly, but I think he was looking for a sport's mamma.

I say you have the right idea! One doesn't have to be 100% compatible, that would mean they were perfect and who is? But give and take plays a major part. If this guy had said to me, "you know, I realize you don't like football, so how about I do this on Friday, and you and I can go out on Sat?" I would still be there. No joke. But...he was clueless.

Not only that, but he did a terrible impression of the 3-stooges at a dinner one night. Oh good Lord. When he did that, he didn't know it, but he was history.

JJ