Why are women so willing to overlook being treated badly? Because we are raised to be "caretakers", and men are raised to "look after number one?"

I've got a few experiences of my own, and can't seem to resolve the situation (at least not yet).

My relationship with my boyfriend has turned into a "best friends with benefits" sort of situation. Which is not entirely bad. I have somebody to do things with, and the freedom to be with my friends at other times. But I would appreciate some kindnesses every now and then.

One example: He had some money problems over this past holiday season, so we agreed to not exchange gifts. No problem there. But I didn't even get a card.

We went away the week after Christmas (my treat) and he got angry with me because he perceived "a cold wind blowing through" when I didn't accept affection one day. On New Year's Day, there was not even a "Happy New Year." Yet, he's not a bad guy.

Other guy friends tell me that men appreciate straight-forward messages. I "want" to tell him "let's still see each other but not be exclusive anymore" but I haven't gotten the nerve yet.

Chatty, you speak the truth.

Jenniemouse, if marriage is on your "want list" he did you a favor by ending it early-on, instead of letting you waste precious years waiting for him to "be ready." I know that doesn't lessen the immediate pain, though. Hang in there...

Whirlwind