Jennie, I'm going to be very FRANK. So if you only want to hear nice things about this man, don't read further.

You say you feel sorry for him because 'despite it all, he *is* a good person" then you go on to elaborate on all the ways he proves himself not to be a good person.
Is "saying" he's not into the bar scene proof that he's a good person? I think not. Lots of men say that, especially if it will get them into your life and into your bed. Also if they don't want to spend the cash to take you to a nice club and ply you with drinks or believe you are morally opposed to it or whatever works.
As to his thinking about national and world affairs, we all believe our way of thinking is right and at least half the U.S. population will agree with us at any one time. The other half, if they are male, will at least 'say' they agree with us if it is what they think we want to hear and it will get them into our good graces.
As to fighting anyone to protect you, all men like to see themselves as the hero saving the damsel in distress and they love proclaiming their manhood. Also they know it endears them to us. However, at this point the person he needs to protect you from may be himself.
I wouldn't be too concerned about him skipping out on your Mother's 65th birthday to go to Vegas. Shucks, I might do that myself.
However, his playing pinball while you wait is flat out rude and shows a total disregard for your feelings. If pinball is more important to him than you are, "He's just not that into you." I would have had such a tantrum he would be terrified of being burned alive if he ever touched a pinball game again. (Of course I talk bigger than I act, but I do believe in periodic tantrums to clear the air and sometimes just to get my way-Hey I'm a girl-well an old one anyway-and that means I got the right!)
And conning you into buying gifts for his family only proves he is a 'good' person as long as someone else is paying the bill. It also proves that he is willing to use your good will to make an impression on others who he may care more about.

Sounds like him being a *Good* person is evident only in what he "says" and not in what he does.
Why do we make excuses for these guys? And it doesn't matter how *good* he is or what kindness he is capable of. What matters is what he actually does and more importantly how he treats YOU.
You will be fine alone and if you truly need a man in your life, someone will come along who is into you and will show it, not just say it.
If he wants out, maybe it's just a whim, but for heaven's sake let him go. And never let him back into your life until he puts action to his words and treats you like the beautiful princess you are.
smile