msdiana:

I, too, was a military dependent, brat and active duty (2 enlistments) and lived in GE (Hahn AB - now closed). Thus, I know some of the isolation you may experience. Both my father, grandfathers, and ex-husband are or were military (E-9s and Colonel). Always distant (both physically and mentally) and very little time for us girls. I essentially married my father (or a man like him b/c I knew no other -- yet my ex was abusive). It is lonely being a military wife. Yet, while I was active duty (and single) I did enjoy my TDYs and adventures, so I know how these men feel about new experiences, the excitement, being on the verge, etc. Yet, it is very hard on the family, wife and children who not only need (whether or not they know it at that time, age depending) a father, but a friend, guidance, etc. The time he takes away from the children and family may benefit his career, yet hinder family relations.

If there is something I can help with, please do not hesitate to ask me, I'd be more than happy to assist.