quote:
Originally posted by KateRyan2012:
I feel that I look SO much younger than they did at this age, simply because of hair styles and hair color. My mother still follows the old lady hair creed--goes and gets her white hair "done" at a salon every week or so, and does not EVER wash and style it herself, and avoids many things in life because she doesn't want to get her hair wet and mess it up--she gets it cut short and gets perms just like her mother and grandmothers did. SO, when we discuss this issue, we are not even in the same book, much less the same page. I just do not get her generation and the generations before her, and she does not get mine. According to my mother, white hair makes you wise and looking and acting elderly is something to be desired--the wisdom of age, I suppose--she says that she wears her white hair proudly(and has done so since her late 30s/early 40s). I, on the other hand, am fighting the aging process full force, at least as far as my hair is concerned. I would absolutely HATE to have my hair white and in a short granny style!! I can't imagine going to get my hair whitened, cut short, permed, etc. I can't imagine living in fear of getting my hair wet and not being able to get it fixed until next week. I am SO glad our generation does not do this!! I just don't understand the concepts of "the old lady hair creed". Here's to young-looking hair!!!

What a great post. I totally agree that we look younger than our mom's did at the same age. And you are right...it's the hair thing. My mom did the hair salon weekly, hair coloring, no shampooing, no getting hair wet, etc. too. I remember all that from when we were kids. But...she got a little hip with age. She went to her natural color which was brown with hardly any grey. She got mod hair cuts, shed the perms, and looked younger as she aged. Weird what hair can do, isn't it?

[ September 13, 2005, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]