You're not only a writer but a published one. It doesn't matter if it's one piece or 200.

You gotta start somewhere. Do you realize how many people have been writing their entire lives and never been published?

When I had just been signed by a literary agent (knew so little about the publishing/writing business, didn't know I should be excited about being signed) I went to a writers conference at Kent State with my editor. Out of 300 writers in that group, only 20 had any work published. Some had been writing for years! So, don't minimize what you've done.

I just started learning scriptwriting and attended a TN Screenwriters Assoc. meeting. These people were talking about stuff that I'd never heard of. One of them asked me what my script's genre was. I said, "Is Chick Flick a genre?" He died laughing. My message is, we start with one at a time and never apologize for it. Teaching writing doesn't necessarily mean he's a good writer.

Your son seems like he's very proud of you so please don't wash his undies with the pink towels!