Thank you for all of the advice and it turns out that you are both absolutely right.
My son is 21 but this is his first time dealing with anything like this. (to be honest, mine also, we've been very lucky) I agree that the manager didn't want to do the paperwork. Anyway it turns out he was assistant manager and when the real manager found out what happened on saturday he let them all have it. It turns out my son did exactly what he was supposed to do, tell the acting manager immediately. After that it is their responsiblity to fill out forms.
The reason I didn't call is because my son didn't understand and he wanted me to stay out of it. He was embarrassed and was blaming himself for being careless.
Once the real manager got wind of it, he got the paperwork squared away and it didn't have to be done within 24 hours. The asst. manager said he told my son to come back to him about the paperwork, but this was a lie because he saw my son afterwards on friday and still didn't fill out any papers for him. My son didn't want to make trouble for him so he told the real manager "maybe I didn't hear him as I was panicking."
The manager also gave him a paper on the rules of the store for injuries and you are right, they were supposed to provide him with medical attention, not let him leave there gushing blood. They were supposed to bring him somewhere.
I am not going to persue anything on this as they are taking responsiblities for the medical bills and he wants to keep the job.
On sunday when he saw the assistant manager again, he came up to my son and said, "You know, you got me in trouble." I told my son, "No you didn't, he got himself in trouble because he didn't handle the situation properly."
Thanks again for letting me vent about this!