Dianne,
I'm truly sorry for your loss. Our in laws become as much a part of our lives as our own parents. Sometimes we share special interests and memories the natural child can't or won't. Our relationship with them is specail because of that.

When my husband passed away, his ex-wife (whom he said he left because she was boring) called the funeral home and ordered the exact same floral arrangement that I selected to be placed by my husband's casket. So there was one from me and one from her on either side.

Then she wrote an article about him which was published in the paper in Omaha, NE where the two of them had lived listing herself as a survivor right along with me and his mother, brothers and sister.

Then she held a memorial service for him in Omaha and invited all their mutual friends to attend. Oh, and by the way, you can attend if you want to, to me....

I have never been so angry or hurt in my life. I emailed her but her reply was nasty and she accused me of being unreasonable.

Even though John was no longer with us and didn't know the difference anyway, still it was me she hurt and made me feel that my simple funeral for my husband which was filled with little things of his and song we both loved and memories we shared, was small and inadequate.

Still having a hard time with it.