I've noticed that those who constantly turn the conversation around to vivid details of their own health are looking for attention.

My mother-in-law is that way. She can't call and just chat w/us. She has to use the telephone call to give us lengthy reports on every tiny ailment she's encountered ...and those that are continuing.

She uses the e-mail for the same thing. We've gotten to the point that we "ignore the bad behavior" and "reward the good behavior" with positive comments when she talks about something other than her latest ailment.

When she's done w/her report, she then moves into reports about others. People I've never met, and people my husband says he only knew from a long time ago, or doesn't know at all.

Poor hubby has had to actually tell her more than one time that if she can't call with good news then we'd rather she didn't call. It was quite an upsetting conversation on both sides, but after not hearing from her for abour 2 weeks, she has made an effort to stop all the negativity.

Here's to success with your friends!

[ January 08, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]