In our family, we try to go to church as a family. We try to dress extra specially nice on Christmas and Easter. Then we like to have dinner together with Easter egg hunts featuring individually wrapped candies and plastic eggs with coins in them in the front yard. We also decorate hard boiled eggs with food coloring and bits of lace and other decorative items. The kids love doing this. The adults split up into teams, one team keeps the kids entertained inside and away from the windows and doors, and the other team is outside hiding the eggs. Then the kids are allowed outside. Some of the adults help the younger toddlers to find and pick up the eggs, and the older ones have a time limit to find their eggs, so they don't have an unfair advantage over the little ones. Sometimes we hide the eggs again with any leftover candy. One Easter, the kids were having so much fun just hunting for the eggs, that we rehid them 5 times! After the kids are finished hunting eggs, then the croquet or badminton sets come out of hiding for the adults and older children to play. Supper is usually leftovers and then everyone gives hugs before heading home.
Unfortunately, often the traditions are carried out without Becky or myself, if we are working.
One of my favorite things to do when Easter is being held at the family farm is to take some of the older children on a hike up to the old natural springs located on the bluffs behind our old family farm. The story I submitted to BAby Boomer Project is from one of those hikes that I took by myself. I find the top of the bluffs very refreshing, invigorating, and inspiring. The wind blowing and the grass swaying, the view from the hill where you can see for at least 10 miles across the river valley, all make me feel very alive and free.