I love planning trips too. When we went to Vegas in 2004, I used a travel agency. This time, I did it myself. I booked the hotel and flights myself and I know I saved some money. I got the airline I wanted this time too. With the travel agent, we got some little extras like coupons to things we didn't even usesd. Only used the ones for the transfers to and from the hotel. We can take a cab. I booked the show we want to see and a special dinner.

A couple of years ago, my husband got a free trip to anywhere he wanted to go because of something he did at work. He chose Montreal. We had booked a few nights at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT and planned on driving. Because we opted to drive to Montreal, his work picked up the cost of the Lodge in lieu of the flight. It was great. We drove to VT and spent a few days there and then went on to Montreal for a few more days and drove back. His work paid for all the lodging (and it was a nice hotel in Montreal) and some meals too. It was a lovely trip, but a bit too much riding in the car for me.

I have to book business trips all the time for people at work, so I've learned a few tricks and like planning my own. However, when/if we go to Hawaii, I may use an agent for that one.

Louisa