This is an interesting post as I too am single and can relate. I guess I can say that being alone is like anything else. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. I know for me, I like it "most" of the time. When I first started going places by myself, I felt like I had a sign tatooed on my forehead which stated "loser here, she's all alone." So I couldn't agree more with the feelings someone expressed in one of the post. Then, as I continued to go solo, I started to really see my surroundings and learned to enjoy whatever the atmosphere offered. I also realized the freedom of choices that went along with being one. So, I guess what I am saying is that I learned to see the positive in the situation instead of the negative (i.e., everyone else has a mate, I'm all alone, etc.). Also, from listening to co-workers and friends that had mates or significant other, I also learned that most of them would give up their right arm to be in my shoes. Seems all they did was gripe about their spouses...so whenever I felt myself becoming uncomfortable, say, in a restaurant, I would remember the "gripes" and earnestly looked at the couples surrounding me and think..."you know, bet they wish they could have this silence sitting across from them." It worked for me. I agree wholeheartdely with the safety thing though. I never go to a movie at night for fear of leaving alone. Just my 2 cents worth.