I agree walking out of some places by yourself is not a safe thing.I am very aware of that when I come home at night and have to make it to my front door,since I live in the city and don't have a driveway or a garage.
I do like to go someplaces by myself,walks,harbor,museums,shopping.Then I get to go where I want and have my own time table.Don't get me wrong,I would like to have someone to go with but these places are ok alone.
Eating alone has it's stigma, I imagine, because of the "breaking of bread" as a "communion" with others.What do we do when we get together with family or friends?-We eat!From "let's meet for"- the simple to the more elaborate-coffee,lunch,dinner,barbeque,picnic.Eating is associated with associating.
I've eaten by myself while doing work-correcting papers or highlighting a text.Then sort of like you said,Dotsie,people won't feel sorry for you.And then it is only at a "you can eat at this bar" type setting.There are sometimes other loners at the bar,there's not an empty seat across from you like at a table. Plus there's always the possibility that there might be snippets of conversation with the bartender.
There's a Baltimore's Best Ribs place where I have eaten by myself,but it feels safe because it's kind of more family oriented.
Going to a movie by myself I might do at a matinee so as not to be an object of too many stares.It only exacerbates the loneliness for me when you I get looked at or especially have no one to share with right after leaving the theater. [Frown]
I thought once I got married again the alone thing would be no more,but alas not so.Family 3 hrs. away and my 2 closet friends living down south doesn't help the situation. I have another single friend but she has 3 children,my only is on the west coast, and 5 siblings. Her time is taken up with family a lot and we don't have a chance to get together but maybe once a month.
Married friends are with family on weekends.
I guess I am flashing back to all those years of single parenthood and having married friends that couldn't spare time away from their families.Whole 'nother story.
Guess the basis of my fear of going somewhere alone may be the fear of me realizing how alone I may really be.
Am I making sense?