I believe that in our hearts we must always keep love alive for all who suffer, particularly those we love whose lives are so horribly affected by the disease of drugs and alcohol. While I know there are genetics involved, I also wonder what we can do to provide these kids alternatives. With my son, not only did he inheret the tendency from his dad and my dad, we found out this year (he's 19) that he had been molested by a neighbor when he was about 5. We'd always suspected it, but this was the first time we got confirmation.

Jesse is so very bright and was bored out of his mind in school. Because he was different, he was picked on in elementary school. Because he had been molested and the issue never resolved, he often exhibited inappropriate behavior. We took him to many therapists, put him in many programs, trying to help. But at the same time my ex- and I were fighting all the time and my ex- was still drinking. Very mixed messages indeed!

I hope that all of you who have loved ones involved with drugs have gotten support for yourselves -- either through Al-Anon or some other support program. It's the only way I have managed to struggle through the gray murk and pain to a light where I can fully love and support Jesse as appropriate, yet not lose myself in the process.

Norma and Number5 and anyone else in this situation, God bless you for your love for your childen and grandchildren. And strength to continue on this path that we have been given.