My husband "surprised" us with a puppy for Christmas. Don't misunderstand....I love dogs, we have a five year old very well trained Jack Russell. I thought I'd made it clear through numerous discussions that I did not need anything else in my life to take care of....but there he was with a nine week old puppy. So now my life is on its ear again. My kids are finally old enough to take care of themselves for short periods of time. They can pick up after themselves, help with chores...etc. But now every day I have to leave work early to go home and deal with the manic pup! No one walks her but me, no one feeds her, cleans up the poop on my oriental rugs, stops her from chewing. So when I complained to my spouse about the unfairness of the situation....he exploded. Gave me the old poor me speech, the one where he says he does so much more around the house than "most men". I should be so grateful. Then out he storms....leaving me at dinner with three hungry kids, homework, dishes and two damn dogs to walk and feed. I rest my case....I resent that I don't have the freedom to walk out the door and leave the crap to him. Fortyish men are no more evolved than 17 year olds!