Guess I will show my age now. When I grew up I was raised by a single parent, who worked hard to make ends meet. My sisters and I would watch the TUBE but what we saw was non-violent and pre-screened as to what we were allowed to watch. I remember that my peers were what was important and what they said was always right. Where we went to school there was a teacher who started a peer group for kids to just talk. Up front we knew that what was said stayed in the room and if anything that was said was a DTO (danger to others) or DTS (danger to self) would be refered to someone in administration. That provided me with my own out, someplace where I could ask questions, find answers, help if I needed it or empatize with others that were having problems. Because children are raising themselves, for the most part, these days they do not have facts that they need to grow nor do they have anyone with the time to listen.
I agree that the world is heading down a dark path but I do believe that one person can change a childs direction if they take the opportunity. Parents even if they both work need to be parents first and the child's friend later. The media jumps right on the story about a school shooting and give the shooter front page headline. I would like to see the same media continue the story but focus on the aftermat of what has happened to those involved. Instead of replaying the crime show how the families of all involved have to adjust(funeral, dreams gone, grief, health, etc.) maybe this reality would show a would be shooter how thier family will feel after they have committed a crime and what thier family will face as being the family of a shooter.