quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I think that ‘enjoying cooking’ is not the issue. Women may enjoy cooking when they can take time to plan and prepare meals free of hassles like time constraints, money shortages, interference from picky eaters and lack of imagination in recipes. Also, at my stage of life (40ish), I have cooked almost everything I ever wanted to make (many, many times) and am bored with repeating menus that include: spaghetti, chicken (in general), casseroles, canned tomatoes, etc. I am actually a good cook, but prefer to bake a batch of muffins rather than prepare dinner. It’s the “What’s for dinner tonight?” syndrome, a one-act play to be repeated tomorrow, and on into infinity. (Sorry, mixed metaphors?)
Of course, if I had more energy, I could work up more enthusiasm. Fibromyalgia and R.A. don’t help. On the positive side, I have found that if I plan a week’s worth of menus, including a variety of dinners, both complex and very easy, then shop to buy all necessary ingredients, I can select a dinner each day based on the families’ needs and my energy level. The list also eliminates rummaging through the cupboards at 5:00pm trying to figure out what to make (a personal favorite way to kill a half hour). I used to start dinner at 3pm when my energy and interest levels were higher, a really good idea. (I work 1/2 days) Well, gotta go rummage in the cupboard.

Christine, I can totally relate to your words. I've been there and done the same old stuff you're talking about. It's life, isn't it?

I think back to my mom cooking 6-7 nights a week, rarely getting break...and for seven of us plus all the neighbor kids too! I at least get the carry-out and eat-out breaks. Thank God! The older I get, the more I appreciate Mom's selflessness. How did she do it?

Sorry about your fibro. I know a few women who suffer from that. Pardon my ignorance, but what is R.A.?